An internship at Walter & Shuffain provides a well-rounded experience in our accounting, auditing and tax departments. Our interns quickly become valuable team members and many have opted to join the firm after graduation.
Interns have an opportunity to work on a variety of client engagements under the supervision of senior firm personnel. These engagements include: assisting with tax compliance and reporting through tax strategy development and return preparation; providing accounting and financial reporting through audit, review and compilation services.
Interns are introduced to the firm's software programs and may assist with monitoring client's industry information online, as well as performing online research.
But it's not all work at W&S. We’re a fairly fun bunch of accountants and our interns join us for a summer outing, ice cream socials and half-day Fridays.
- Junior or senior in accounting or taxation
- Prefer minimum GPA 3.0 overall
- Must be eligible to work in United States
- Become familiar with firm policies and procedures.
- Obtain a working knowledge of firm technology, including the use of e-mail and the Internet, spreadsheets and tax software.
- Become proficient in the preparation of corporate, individual, partnership, fiduciary and other tax forms.
- Perform assigned audit, review and compilation procedures under the supervision of more experienced staff.
- Understand the rules, requirements and code of conduct of the AICPA and the literature established by the FASB and GASB.
- Learn tax and accounting research techniques and become familiar with the various research sources of the firm's library.
- Learn to work effectively with co-workers and supervisors.
- Assume responsibility for completion of assignments.
- Get involved in some FUN (yes, it’s a requirement!).
Perspectives from Past Participants
"I was amazed that I was actually doing so much billable work. I worked on everything from audits to software conversions to tax returns. I had heard horror stories about interns doing filing and copying all summer but that wasn't the case at Walter & Shuffain. I am much more confident as I head back to class that I now understand what it will be like to be an accountant. The experience I gained reinforced my belief that this is the right career for me."
- Alisha Bhadelia, Summer Intern
"During my internship I worked with many people within the firm including staff accountants, seniors, managers and even some of the partners. I felt that I was an important part of the team and not just a lowly intern. This experience exceeded my expectations. The work that I was given was challenging but help was always available. I feel that I have learned so much that I'll actually be ahead in many of my classes next year."
- Christine Dutra, Summer Intern
"One of the best things about the internship program was getting the whole experience; from the engagement letter to performing the audit and preparing the tax return. It was so much more interesting than sitting in the classroom. I chose to accept the offer from W&S because of the great people within the firm and the diversity of the work. I knew that I fit in and had developed a good feeling about what working there would be like. Their offer was competitive with many of the firms located in Boston."
- Rebecca Brown, Summer Intern—W&S Employee